Public health protects our communities, saves lives, and saves money. UPHA encourages its members to advocate for public health. We need your support to continue to strengthen our public health system. You can help by reaching out to your representatives to educate them about public health priorities.
2020 Legislative Session
UPHA 2020 legislative session priority public health policy issues:
- Access to Healthcare and Medicaid Expansion
- Public Health Funding
- Climate Change and Air Quality
Legislative Priorities Bill Watch
Monitor the UPHA Bill Watch to see what Utah Legislature actions will impact public health, and then take action as needed.
How Can You Advocate for Public Health?
- Call or email your State Representatives and Federal Congressional Delegation to express support for UPHA priorities.
- Visit the Utah State Legislative Website, where you can search for and track bills.
- Like UPHA on Facebook to stay updated on legislative issues.
- Educate family, friends, and neighbors on the benefits of investing in public health on your personal social media sites. Get tips from APHA.
- Attend Town Hall meetings organized by local, state, and federal politicians. Ask questions and share information about public health.
- Write letters to the editor or op-eds about the benefits of public health to submit to your local newspaper. Get tips from APHA.
- Learn about APHA's Speak For Health.
- Vote! For the first time, Utah will participate in the Presidential Primary voting process on Tuesday, March 3rd. Learn how you can be be a part of Utah's first Super Tuesday HERE.
Get Involved with UPHA Advocacy
- Join monthly meetings held the fourth Tuesday of each month from 4-5:30pm in Salt Lake City. Contact the Advocacy Unit for more information about the monthly meetings, including call-in information.
- Help plan and host the Annual Advocacy Day, Annual Legislative Sponsorship Event, and Training Webinars
Each year, the UPHA Advocacy Unit hosts an Advocacy Summit. This event includes training and hands-on experience at the Capitol during the legislative session. Details about the 2020 Summit are available HERE. If you are interested in helping to plan the 2020 Advocacy Summit, contact the UPHA Advocacy Unit. Learn more about the UPHA Advocacy Summit.
Want to learn more? Contact the Advocacy Unit.
Photos: UPHA Board Members Julie Gast and Teresa Garrett with Representative Ben McAdams in Washington DC (top); UPHA Board Members Sharon Talboys and Patty Cross with an aide for Mike Lee in Washington DC (bottom)